This project is read-only.

Instead of using AZURE can I use IBM's WebSphere eXtreme Scale REST data service in place of it and still have OGDI work the same way?

Jan 5, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Instead of using AZURE can I use IBM's WebSphere eXtreme Scale REST data service in place of it and still have OGDI work the same way?

The OGDI kit looks really nice, but it would be nice not to be forced to buy AZURE to use it.

IBM's WebSphere eXtreme Scale REST data service is compatible with the ADO.NET Data Services, so does that mean I can substitute it for AZURE?

Thanks,

v8

The healthy one.

Coordinator
Jan 5, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Not out of the box. OGDI Interactive SDK web site assumes certain data model and relies on a few features present in the OGDI Data Service that are not part of OData, e.g. ability to render KML.

-Vlad

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Thanks Vlad,

Has anyone else expressed an interest in hing OGDI run a plain vanilla J2EE platform without any cloud computing, being fully open source, without any Vendor/IP dependecies?

Using only Websphere or any J2EE server as the platform and a simple RDBMS database like MySQL, to produce the same functional features as demostrated on your OGDI demo ( e.g. the generation of extracts using atompub Data Services URI and Payload Extensions, and automatic Google mapping format generation ... ), is there anything in the OGDI kit that can be reused?

If so which components? And is there a set of archteture documents showing how you desinged the OGDI?

Thanks,

v8

The healthy one.

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Hello V8 - Websphere not having vendor IP is news to me.

OGDI isnt about open source purity (no such thing anyway, really - is Intel's chip code open source?), its about providing an affordable, modifiable solution thats ready to go out of the box.  We also hope the community will find it useful and contribute enhancements to it via codeplex submissions.

Its being on Azure is more about how you pay for it (because any solution requires money at some point).  So you either have to buy your own hardware (and possibly software) and maintain it etc., or you host it somewhere, and that isnt free either.

This is a solution that we hope will be, at a minimum, attractive to people with .NET skills, but we also have a PHP port in the works (also running in Azure)

So what you are asking is really has anyone done this on another platform, and I'd say I'm not aware of anything but there certainly could be.

Coordinator
Jan 6, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Up to this point we haven't had any interest in running OGDI on J2EE platform. We will be putting additional documentation on this site shortly. Hopefully it will give you the information you are looking for. Since OGDI is a .NET application, that uses Windows Azure storage, and is written in C#, direct re-use of its components on J2EE platform is highly unlikely.

HTH,

-Vlad

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Thanks for the quick replies Vlad and Keith,

As you know Obama's Open Gov. Directive/initiative requires govenment to provide their data in a easily digestible format to the public.

Most govenment agencies use J2EE and plain JS/Ajax and SQL tables. The functions hown in OGDI probably would satisfy most gov. agencies. So I'm looing for a plain J2ee, ANSI SQL, Linux/Unix open solution. 

Are there a site like your OGDI but j2ee oriented? 

Can you give me the PHP port site URL?

Anyway I'll forward to the architecture and other design docs.

Thanks,

v8

Jan 7, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Can you use http://dev.mainsoft.com/Default.aspx?tabid=45 ( also see http://dev.mainsoft.com/)  to help you to convert c# to java?

Coordinator
Feb 1, 2010 at 6:32 PM

We don't have any plans to convert the solution to java.  However, there is a very perimissive license for this project:

http://ogdi.codeplex.com/license

You are more than welcome to use our source code for the basis of a java based solution.  You may also want to investigate java implementations of the OData spec.  See http://www.odata.org/ for more details.